Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips

Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips
The River of Life

Friday, September 18, 2015

Proactive Anti-Aging – It’s Good to be a Slowpoke


 
 
 
 
This morning I taught two cycle classes back to back. I don’t normally do this, but the gym needed a sub and my students asked me to teach so I said “o-k!”

Now to put this in perspective I’m not a spring chicken. Teaching any kind of exercise class is challenging. With a few years on my side and the intensity of a cycle class teaching two classes back to back is no small feat. But I love teaching and I love the challenge.

After the second class I asked myself if I thought I could teach back to back cycle classes twenty years from now. I’ll be into my eighties, so I doubt I will be teaching cycle unless I develop a senior cycle class focused more on getting on and off the bikes and just moving without intensity. I could play music from the sixties; wear hippie beads and burn patchouli incense. Not such a bad idea!?

Then I had a flashback to twenty years ago. In my forties I doubt I would have been able to teach back to back cycle classes without a few groans and moans. I wouldn’t have known how to pace myself and instead would have burnt myself out trying to prove something. What, I’m not sure, but I do remember in your forties you are trying to prove something; like how many of life’s metals can you pin to your chest?

I’ve got a few metals on my chest, but I’ve also lost and left many good ones behind. That’s o-k.  I made choices and those choices led me to the here and now.

There’s a Crosby Still and Nash song called Slowpoke that has a great line. “When I was faster I was always behind.”   And yes when I was younger I ran so fast that I was always behind. I was always trying to get somewhere not realizing that somewhere was in the moment. Once it’s gone-it’s gone. Now that I’m older, like the song says, I just want to be a slowpoke. I want to embrace the moments. Especially the ones where I feel good and I have lots of energy.

Two cycle classes back to back and I’m now exhausted. I did it to help out and to keep in the good graces of my students and employer. I also made extra money which never goes unappreciated. I think it’s time to relax and may-be call it a day.

“Slowpoke I want to run with you. Wear all your clothes and do what you do. We got some things to find. When I was faster, I way always behind.” Crosby Still and Nash

 

Doctor Lynn
http://www.doctorlynn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment