Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips

Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips
The River of Life

Friday, May 27, 2016

Do I Really Want to Work this Hard? – Proactive Anti-Aging


 
Looming in the background is first retirement and then second that time when I am no longer able to work. Years ago I set a goal for myself and have yet to achieve it. There are many reasons why I didn’t achieve this goal. Some are circumstances and some are my own foolish notions. My goal is still not unachievable. It’s just that I’m not sure I want to work that hard. It is easy to get lazy when you don’t need to survive, but rather can ride on the crest of the good life.

Like many people my age I am beginning to deal with aging parents. I am also trying to help my children with the grandchildren. My husband is retired and pulling me in that direction. But I still have that goal looming over my head. I want to achieve it, but I am not sure I want to work that hard.

Pacing is the magic word. If I pace myself I will achieve my goal. To pace means to take the steps forward with a comfortable stride. It also means to walk back and forth in a state of anxiety.  Stepping in a comfortable stride is exactly what I must do. Pacing with anxiety is not for me; I am too old for that. That would be a foolish notion.

 Life’s fulfillment comes from setting and achieving goals. Satisfaction is wonderful, however it has been said that satisfaction is an illusion. As soon as we begin to feel satisfied we suddenly want more. This is human nature. It is good to desire, but not to obsess. I will keep my goals and work towards them with this in mind; if Mick Jagger can’t find satisfaction, neither can I. It would be a foolish notion to seek satisfaction when being happy with what I have achieved while pacing me to achieve the rest of my goals without the overwhelming need to work so hard should be fulfillment enough.

I am working towards my goal. I am striding not anxiously pacing.  I am not working so hard that I forget to stop and enjoy the moments.   Working too hard is a foolish notion. Enjoying the moments is being happy. That’s Proactive Anti-Aging!

Doctor Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment