Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips

Pro-Active Anti-Aging Tips
The River of Life

Friday, January 8, 2016

Too Busy to Feel Old


 
 
 
One of the great secret to proactive anti-aging is to be so busy you don’t have the time to think about your aches and pains or your wrinkles and sags. You often hear about people retiring and being busier than when they worked full time. Of course there are those who simply slip into old age way before their time. Those are usually the complainers.

Keeping busy and continuing to be active is the greatest antidote to aging. Of course there will be modifications and compromises, but that is the nature of life. In yoga we call this the three A’s - awareness of the situation, adjustment to the situation and then adaptation.

First you need to assess or become aware. I do get tired some days and when I do I know I need to pull back and adjust my energy. I am adapting to a more moderate and slower pace. When I was younger I never took the time to relax. Now I know I need to pull back a bit and simply replenish my energy.

I’m better at setting priorities and those priorities are the things I enjoy doing. I’ve earned the right to choose not to push so hard to achieve and yet at the same time stay so busy that life is full and rewarding.

I won’t tell you that there aren’t the days when the aches and the pains of aging catch up to me. Like a little tap on the shoulder aging reminds me that my body has been around for a while. So I pull back, put up my feet and thank aging for reminding me that there are many things in my life I don’t need to do anymore. Now I speed walk instead of run and somehow I am busier than I’ve ever been, I get more accomplished and the aches and the pains subside not with a complaint, but with awareness, adjustment and adaptation. After all survival of the fittest is not about the youngest and the strongest, but the one who can adapt to the situation with ease.    

Doctor Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment